Looking for a new trail to explore? Go ride, walk, jog or run on the newly completed Old Yellowstone Trail between Garrison and Deer Lodge, Powell County, Montana!
- 4-miles of bike/pedestrian trail access along the old Milwaukee Railroad bed.
- The trail parallels the scenic Clark Fork River, crossing it three times on refurbished railroad bridges. Deer, elk, moose, beavers, and numerous bird species have all been spotted along the trail.
- Other improvements include: trailheads, vault toilets, bio-engineered bank stabilization, fencing, benches, picnic tables, and signage.
- Start at the north end near Garrison (click here for trailhead location) and go 7.4 miles to the south, or start midway at the Rock Creek Cattle Road crossing (click here for trailhead location) and go 5.2 miles north or 2.2 miles to the south. Click here for a map of the trail.
- This is only Phase 1 of the trail. Phase 2, which is slated for completion in 2021, will provide a connection into the Grant Kohrs Ranch and Deer Lodge.
- Check out the trail on the Rails to Trails website! https://www.railstotrails.org/greatamericanrailtrail/